Select the MERV rating based on your HVAC system requirements. Higher MERV Ratings are better for air quality, BUT your system may not be designed for filters of certain densities (higher MERV ratings). Increasing the size of your return air vent or adding a second one can significantly improve the quality of filter you can use (surface area of filter vs power of your HVAC system). Putting too dense of a filter in your HVAC that is not adequately powered can reduce air flow, cooling capacity or cause strain on your fan system. Our article on increasing MERV gives you details on how to do this.
Custom built filters are made to order and are not returnable. We’ve partnered with Nordic Pure for the construction. Depending on size and type of filter, your filter may be custom built or stocked as a more standard size. If you don't see the size or type you need, please contact us and we will explore a solution for you or provide alternative recommendations.
When was the last time you changed your home's HVAC filter?
Do you know where the filters are?
If your answers are "I don't know" or "no", don't feel alone or embarrassed, it's actually quite common. A standard home HVAC system that covers a ~2,000 square foot home is roughly 5 TIMES as powerful as a $1,000 HEPA air purifier. So...why not use the power of this system to your air quality benefit? Our custom made HVAC filters provide premium USA Made particulate removal combined with Activated Carbon for chemical and odor removal.
If your home uses a central air-conditioner or furnace, regular HVAC filter changes with higher-MERV filters are critical for indoor air quality for these reasons:
- A dirty filter can cause your HVAC unit to work harder and make it prone to more breakdowns.
- Dust that goes into the HVAC system can feed mold when it comes into contact with moisture on the coils or in the drip pan
- Pet allergens, bacteria, viruses and VOCs that start out in one room of the home can be distributed throughout the home by the HVAC system
What is "MERV"?
MERV stands for minimum efficiency reporting value, developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
- The higher the MERV rating, the higher efficiency of removal of small particles, and better air quality.
- You can potentially increase the MERV if you install a filter box that will accept a thicker filter. Thicker filters (like 3, 4 or 5") also last longer and can save you money over the life of the filter.
- You should always check with your HVAC manufacturer or technician before increasing the MERV of your filter, because higher MERV normally results in a higher pressure drop (and too much pressure drop can damage your HVAC).
Learn more about what you can expect various MERV filters to remove HERE
What is "Activated Carbon"?
The benefits of activated carbon added to these pleated filters are myriad. It is a non-toxic way to remove smells and dangerous gasses that can build up in your home. By turning the fan selection to "On" instead of "Auto", you can enjoy these benefits 24/7, not just when the heating or cooling unit is operating:
- It will remove Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs, which be emitted not only from paint, new carpet and furniture--your personal products have plenty of VOCs too!).
- Odors such as from cooking, laundry and athletic equipment and pets can be greatly diminished as you continue to run the HVAC system.
- If you live in a city or near busy roads, you should know the dangers of air pollution. Activated carbon filters can remove a significant amount of ozone (60-70% in this study) and greatly reduce Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2, another hazardous vehicle exhaust product); ordinary pleated filters cannot remove these gases.
- If you live in a multi-family apartment or condo building, sometimes neighbors aren't so "neighborly" with their smells and habits. To reduce the effects of bad hygiene, second-hand smoke, cooking, pets and more, choose this filter with activated carbon.
Don't see what you need?
Please contact us for a quote on a custom built filter of virtually any size or type. We will also price match with any comparable residential filter.